Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-16 11:56:43

dettod2k

How to style network manager in system tray?

Hi!

How do i style a network manager icon in the system tray? #sn-button only affected bluetooth and discord icons, but not network manager.
#nm-applet doesn't work.

https://imgur.com/a/T2Z4UMM

Last edited by dettod2k (2024-04-16 11:57:00)

#2 2024-04-16 12:43:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to style network manager in system tray?

Hello and welcome.

As I understand it, the default nm-applet is run as a legacy status tray instance - one that doesn't really allow CSS tweaking (you get what you get). However, depending on the distro you use and whether it built nm-applet with indicator support, you could run nm-applet like this:

nm-applet --indicator

...so that it is run as an appindicator. This will enable the #sn-button style class that you can tweak.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-04-16 12:55:45

dettod2k

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

As I understand it, the default nm-applet is run as a legacy status tray instance - one that doesn't really allow CSS tweaking (you get what you get). However, depending on the distro you use and whether it built nm-applet with indicator support, you could run nm-applet like this:

nm-applet --indicator

...so that it is run as an appindicator. This will enable the #sn-button style class that you can tweak.

I think we're going the right direction though I still don't understand exactly what am i supposed to do.. Using void linux.

Am i supposed to run nm-applet --indicator in the terminal and that's it?

I already have #sn-class. It styles my bluetooth/discord icons just fine. But not networkmanagers.

Last edited by dettod2k (2024-04-16 12:59:51)

#4 2024-04-16 13:03:53

ToZ
Administrator

To test it:

pkill nm-applet
nm-applet --indicator

...and see if you can style it.

If so, then (hopefully this will work on Void), copy /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop to ~/.config/autostart and then edit this newly copied file and change the "Exec=" line to read:

Exec=nm-applet --indicator

Then log out and back in again.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2024-04-16 13:12:17

dettod2k

ToZ wrote:

To test it:

pkill nm-applet
nm-applet --indicator

...and see if you can style it.

If so, then (hopefully this will work on Void), copy /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop to ~/.config/autostart and then edit this newly copied file and change the "Exec=" line to read:

Exec=nm-applet --indicator

Then log out and back in again.

My god, you're a savior. Huge, huge thanks! Small thing, but been struggling since early morning, haha.

Thanks again!!

Board footer