Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-17 22:02:40

MangoCat

xfce4-session priorities / startup order

First question: does xfce4-session look through all the applications which are to be autostarted and then start those with the lowest priority numbers first?

Second question: is it possible to assign priorities lower than 50 to .desktop files I have added into ~/.config/autostart/   ? 

Third question: is it possible to assign priorities lower than 50 to programs I am launching via the xfconf-query -c xfce4-session /sessions/Failsafe/Client_Command  properties?

Context: I am building an image to be installed on a bunch of machines, and I want the users' startup experience to be identical on every boot.  So, I really don't want to save state as you might in a ~/.cache/sessions saved session file, I'd rather just get the same session configuration every boot, guaranteed.

I also have a program that I run at startup with an animated splash screen that I would like to come up as soon as possible, but it always seems to be waiting about 3 seconds after the desktop appears before starting.  I have tried changing its priority value in the xfconf-query properties as well as all the xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml files I can find, but my program's priority always shows as 50, and any changes I make to "system" programs like xfce4-panel etc. seem to be ignored.

I guess my next step is to try fork-launching my splash screen from xinitrc, before the xfce4-session call, but I'm wondering if there's any way I could "work with" xfce4-settings instead of going around it?

Board footer