Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-03 03:41:53

Shifu

Will XFCE Join in with Mint's Xapps Initiative?

Discussed here on the Mint blog  https://blog.linuxmint.com/
I haven't seen any talk yet about this on this forum or over at the MX forum. I'm ondering if people think this idea will gain any traction. There's a lot of Gnome in XFCE and it does make it hard to keep a consistent desktop so...

Last edited by Shifu (2024-05-03 04:07:47)

#2 2024-05-03 07:31:07

Tamaranch

Re: Will XFCE Join in with Mint's Xapps Initiative?

Discussions take place on matrix, which we take part in or at least follow: https://matrix.to/#/#xapp:matrix.org

#3 2024-05-21 20:47:10

tb0ne24

Please yes! o)

I'm quite new in the Linux land, but I am kind of shocked about how scattered things are. I kind of wonder, why each distribution is developing it's own editor, paint tool, image viewer, file manager, "start" menu etc.. Isn't that a huge waste of development time and resources? Not speaking of developing a dozen desktops, package managers etc., I think this is holding Linux back (only my 2 cents of course! o).

Thank you! o)

#4 2024-05-22 09:19:49

Jerry3904

MX Devs were contacted by email about this and had a short discussion among ourselves. In my personal opinion, as a small distro we just don't have extra time, personnel or funds to devote to such a project.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2024-05-22 10:51:40

tb0ne24

Is XFCE maintained by the MX linux devs (only?) or where do the various developers come from? Since XFCE is available on most distros, I would have thought there is no specific "home" distro of this desktop environment? Please excuse my naive question, but all the relations are not easy to understand for someone new in the space. Thank you! o)

#6 2024-05-22 12:44:07

ToZ
Administrator

tb0ne24 wrote:

Is XFCE maintained by the MX linux devs (only?)

No, but they do contribute.

or where do the various developers come from?

Volunteers from all over the world.

Since XFCE is available on most distros, I would have thought there is no specific "home" distro of this desktop environment?

That is correct - Xfce is considered an "upstream" desktop environment that distros can choose to include.

Please excuse my naive question, but all the relations are not easy to understand for someone new in the space. Thank you! o)

No worries. This thread is about potential collaborative opportunities given that there are a number of smaller upstream projects.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer