Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-31 21:55:36

Giacca90
Website

custom settings for multiple screens

hi guys.
I want to buy a Bluetooth projector for my laptop, I'll see if it works, but that's not why I'm here.
I normally have 6 workspaces configured, and when I connect another screen I want this second one to have its own independent workspaces.

I don't know if I explained it correctly, I have tried changing xfce4-desktop.xml without success.

questions:
Can you do what I want, that in addition to the mirror and extended screen there is the possibility of independent screens?

Is there any documentation of the options allowed in xfce4-desktop.xml???

Thank you very much for the help

#2 2024-05-31 23:04:23

ToZ
Administrator

Re: custom settings for multiple screens

Giacca90 wrote:

I normally have 6 workspaces configured, and when I connect another screen I want this second one to have its own independent workspaces.

Unfortunately, this is no longer possible. If I understand correctly, GTK3 dropped support for it and since Xfce is dependent on GTK3, it lost support as well.

The only possible workaround right now would be to put one application on one screen and "sticky" it - meaning it will always be visible when you change workspaces. See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9319.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-06-01 11:47:38

Giacca90
Website

Re: custom settings for multiple screens

Thanks for your answer.

It is exactly what I have done so far, "stick" the windows so that they are always in the visible work area.

I was thinking of trying other windows managers, but I don't want to change, because I am very used to this environment.

I know that with I3 it can be done, but of course, it is a totally different way to manage windows.

I will try alternatives to xfwm4 compatible with xfce, and if I find one that works as I want and that is not too different from xfwm I will let you know.

Board footer