Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-31 22:29:58

shrykull

xfconf-query eDP-1 : set overscan/margin for monitor. without xrandr.

Hello,

I cant find on the documentation a full list of available properties to set for xfconf-query, or for the gui-tool, xfce4-settings-editor.
I have a big black liquid blob on my laptop monitor on the left side (from some kind of damage?) and i want to set black borders on the screen and then adjust the resolution after that.

the resolution seems straight forward in the settings.
What i need is the proper syntax/wording to set the property for an overscan, or margin in xfconf. is this property available?

fedora 40, xfce4.20

xrandr is not installed by default for the xfce spin. if i don't need it, i'd rather not add it.

Last edited by shrykull (2024-05-31 22:32:52)

#2 2024-05-31 23:09:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfconf-query eDP-1 : set overscan/margin for monitor. without xrandr.

Hello and welcome.

shrykull wrote:

I cant find on the documentation a full list of available properties to set for xfconf-query, or for the gui-tool, xfce4-settings-editor.

Have a look at this definitive post.

I have a big black liquid blob on my laptop monitor on the left side (from some kind of damage?) and i want to set black borders on the screen and then adjust the resolution after that.

the resolution seems straight forward in the settings.
What i need is the proper syntax/wording to set the property for an overscan, or margin in xfconf. is this property available?

I'm not sure you can do that just with xfconf - it will need to be some sort of X window/xorg setting I believe.

You can also use margins (Settings Manager > Workspaces > Margins) to prevent windows from opening/auto-extending into that area.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-06-01 21:07:10

shrykull

Re: xfconf-query eDP-1 : set overscan/margin for monitor. without xrandr.

Hey, thanks. The workspace margins are a neat workaround.

I'll fiddle with xorg settings if it gets in the way of the applications menu xd

Board footer