Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-09 16:24:12

pencil

changing xfce standard windows symbols ^_□X

At the upper right of almost all windows XFCE presents are four symbols, ^ _ □ X. _ is for minimize, X is for close etc. The box symbol can be one of two, a toggle, between full screen and window. How can I change that box symbol to be perhaps a box for 'in window, want full screen' and a plus + for 'in full screen want a window'. Maybe I've got the box and + backward. The key thing here is that there is currently very little difference between the box for full screen and the box for window. I am running XFCE 4.18, which I believe is standard for Xbuntu 24.04.

#2 2024-06-09 16:39:42

ToZ
Administrator

Re: changing xfce standard windows symbols ^_□X

Hello and welcome.

This page talks all about xfwm4 window decorations. You will find these files in your theme's xfwm4 folder.

How can I change that box symbol to be perhaps a box for 'in window, want full screen' and a plus + for 'in full screen want a window'.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like you want to change the "maximize-toggled-active.xpm" file. You can edit the file as per the instructions from the above link. Might be best to create your own version of the current theme (copy the theme contents to your ~/.themes folder) and edit the files there so they don't get overwritten if the theme is every updated.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-06-09 22:45:57

pencil

At this point, modifying the picture or item associated with 'miximize/window' is confusing.   

My environment: running the command
gsettings get  org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 

returns
'Greybird'

I find maximize-toggled-active.xpm in
./Kokodi/xfwm4
./Numix/xfwm4
./Default-xhdpi/xfwm4
./Moheli/xfwm4/
./Daloa/xfwm4/
./Default/xfwm4/
./Default-hdpi/xfwm4/

I do not see such a file in Greybird, although there are several directory structures that begin with Greybird at /usr/share/themes.  Using that file within Default-xhdpi, I tried manipulating the contents of maximize-toggled-active.xpm (after setting aside a copy to restore).  I added a second box around the  existing box (of # characters).  Opening a few windows after that showed no difference so I concluded that I didn't change the right place.  I realize I am workng directly on the system level files which is OK for me on this system.

#4 2024-06-10 01:23:15

ToZ
Administrator

pencil wrote:

My environment: running the command
gsettings get  org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 

returns
'Greybird'

What does the following return:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme

...it should return some form of Greybird if the Greybird window manager theme is used.

I find maximize-toggled-active.xpm in

Should have mentioned that some themes use png files (instead of xpm) and CSD (client side decorated) windows don't use xfwm4 themes at all (the client draws the window decoration) - which will be confusing.

I do not see such a file in Greybird, although there are several directory structures that begin with Greybird at /usr/share/themes.

For some reason, Greybird does not ship with it. You can create that file and it will be used. You might also need a corresponding png file as Greybird uses both (you can test by copying over one of the other xpm files in that directory).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer