Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-14 10:50:33

DavidS

[SOLVED] Prevent links switching focus to browser

On both of my computers, when I click on a web link in an email a new tab is opened in my browser (which is what I want to happen).  However, I want focus to remain in the email client I am using, and that is what used to happen

A few days ago though, the behaviour changed.  Now, when I click on a link, the new tab opens, and focus changes to the browser (which is on a different workspace from the email client).  This happens on both computers.

I normally use Evolution for email and Chrome for my browser; however I have tried temporarily switching to Thunderbird and Firefox, but the problem persists.  So I'm pretty sure it must be something in the xfce settings that is causing this new unwanted behaviour.

It is true that I have changed a few settings lately (I'm still getting used to xfce), so it may be something I've done.  But I can't seem to find anything in the xfce settings which corrects this problem.

I'm using xubuntu 24.04 on one computer and xubuntu 23.10 on the other.

How can I get clicking on a web link to open a tab but not to switch workspace or focus?

Last edited by DavidS (2024-06-14 11:40:51)

#2 2024-06-14 11:03:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Prevent links switching focus to browser

Have a look at Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Focus tab. There are 3 options to select from when a window raises itself (in your case, the browser when a new tab is opened). Sounds like you might want this set to "Do nothing". See if this helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-06-14 11:43:45

DavidS

Re: [SOLVED] Prevent links switching focus to browser

Well that was simple, wasn't it?!!!  Thank you for your suggestion, which immediately solved the problem.  I don't understand why I didn't spot this as a probable solution before - I think it's because I didn't think of the opening of a new tab being a case of "a window raising itself".

Anyway, thanks again.

Board footer