Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-01 00:38:53

advice1010

Way to use Applications Menu with super key

My distro sets up Whisker Menu by default, but I am trying to test out other Panel Menus for a request post.
I was wondering how to be able to use the Applications Menu as my default menu and have it linked to my super key open / super key as modifier, that Whisker Menu is currently linked to.

I have been able to get this to work with 3rd party panel menus but not XFCE Applications Menu.
When I setup the command for the XFCE Applications Menu it just loads up as a context menu.
I can open XFCE Applications Menu as a Panel plugin so it shows up in my panel, but I do not know how to link the hotkey.

Is there an option to add to this command to use it in the panel, or am I using the wrong command altogether?
xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu

Thank You

#2 2024-07-01 01:43:11

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Way to use Applications Menu with super key

Which distro and version of Xfce are you running?

You would basically edit the keyboard shortcut to run xfce4-popupmenu-applicationsmenu instead of xfce4-popup-whiskermenu. The Applications menu would need to be added to the panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-07-01 22:10:26

advice1010

@ToZ
Thank you for your response.
Ahh I got it, I was not thinking, I got it to work.

@Anyone
Lead me to another question that has happened to me before, don't know if I should make a whole separate post for this, up to you.  When I removed Whisker from my panel and replaced it with Applications Menu, I ran my very quick test and then remove AppMenu and brought back my Whisker Menu.  Why when you do this, does Whisker then lose all of its GUI Layout settings, it goes back to default GUI layout?
Shouldn't that information be saved in $HOME and just recalled when bring back Whisker Menu?  why would it go to default?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thank You

#4 2024-07-02 09:59:35

Tamaranch

That's how the panel has always worked: it cleans up when a plugin is removed. There are pros and cons to this, but if you want to save the state of the panel at any given time, you should use xfce4-panel-profiles.

#5 2024-07-02 15:20:45

CwF

Tamaranch wrote:

to save the state of the panel at any given time, you should use xfce4-panel-profiles.

Early on in my discovery of xfce4-panel-profiles I tried to fashion a 'mode' switch to switch among very closely configured desktops that essentially turn on/off a few elements. So a single layout really, with elements that don't need to be there all the time. Good idea I thought, but it failed. I'm a big fan of genmon's and those would not flip on without an extra manual trigger to reinitialize, or however we put it. Clicking into their Properties and save/close got them going, but a single mode switch click wasn't enough. So preserving placement, yes, preserving state no. I consider state to be 'on' and working, not simply placement.

That was awhile ago, maybe xfce4-panel-profiles has improved on this?

Last edited by CwF (2024-07-02 15:21:43)

#6 2024-07-02 15:28:59

Tamaranch

Maybe, depending on the version you were using at the time. The latest version is 1.0.14, where various bugs have been fixed.

#7 2024-07-02 15:37:48

CwF

Ok, I will try again at some point. It was 1.0.13 I tried. Not a pressing issue, thanks.

Board footer