Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-10 22:39:50

shela.4

Re-open (browser and) application windows in correct workspaces

Hello guys. First of all, thanks for the amazing work.

I'm trying to re-open browser (and application) windows in their correct workspaces after a crash. Ideally, all windows, but browser is a good start.
Now using Session Buddy for Chrome, but it piles all windows in the same workspace.

I've heard about the feature in XFCE, "Session Manager", but couldn't get it to work for my case. It sounds exactly what I need in theory, but in practice, it's just very strange. In the "Settings Manager" -> "Session and Startup", the Saved Sessions only shows one session, is this supposed to be overwriten every time I press Save? And in Current Session, I see many XFCE programs, but Chrome doesn't show up. Or any of the other programs that I have running.

Here's a screenshot:

XFCE Session Manager Screenshot

I'd love to know more about this, because I may be overestimating what to expect from xfce4-session, because this looks like an ideal solution, but fails for me in practice.

I'd love your input.

Best regards.

Last edited by shela.4 (2024-07-11 21:53:27)

#2 2024-07-15 02:00:20

chang-zhao

Re: Re-open (browser and) application windows in correct workspaces

shela.4 wrote:

I'd love to know more about this, because I may be overestimating what to expect from xfce4-session, because this looks like an ideal solution, but fails for me in practice.

Yeah, I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong but I think currently it has pretty limited functionality.

PS. Maybe something more could be achieved with Wnck and a bit of programming.

Last edited by chang-zhao (2024-07-15 02:04:54)

#3 2024-07-16 14:43:54

shela.4

Interesting. I was wondering why my post was having so little traction, especially on XFCE's own forum.

I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about this. Are there any discussions, or release notes, etc?

So you'd think there's no upcoming effort in the short term for the functionality of sessions, and I'd take it by implication only, workspaces?

Thanks for the heads up.

Best regards.

#4 2024-07-16 16:47:35

ToZ
Administrator

The application itself needs to support the XSMP Protocol.

Also see https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7011.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2024-07-16 20:57:02

shela.4

ToZ wrote:

The application itself needs to support the XSMP Protocol.

Also see https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7011.

Thank you, this was the type of explanation I was looking for.

I'll be looking at the link in greater detail, but this lines up with my experience. I'll be having that into consideration.

Appreciate you taking the time, thanks for the help.

Board footer