Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-20 13:43:29

hhgoten

[Solved] Window Buttons and google-chrome

Yesterday I made an upgrade of google-chrome and all in a sudden the chrome icon for the running chrome changed to an Icon like just like a window  ( a frame with a top blue line).
Changing
"Fensterknöpfe"(german desktop ) "Window Buttons" in xfce4-panel 4.12.0 in size and so on shows no reaction. If I say show names , the additional text is shown, but the google-chrome Icon ist lost.  The chrome Starter Icon in the same "Leiste"/Panel shows the well known google-chrome Icon.

I'm running
google-chrome-stable                        43.0.2357.65-1

3.19.0-16-generic #16-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 30 16:09:58 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Xubuntu 15.04

Theme is  Greybird with IconTeme  elementary-xfce-darker

Any suggestions are welcome

Best regards Waldi, Berlin , Germany

#2 2015-05-20 15:05:14

ToZ

Re: [Solved] Window Buttons and google-chrome

Xfce uses the application's NET_WM_ICON hint to set that icon. It would appear that this version google-chrome does not set this hint. You can check this by running (in a terminal window):

xprop

...and then clicking on the google-chrome window. Compare the results to doing the same on another application like firefox where you'll see that NET_WM_ICON is set by the application.

Have a read through this thread that discusses a similar issue. It links to a mailing list entry where the Xfce developer's state that the application should be setting this hint and also a potential workaround using the xseticon utility.

Note: Installing the google-chrome-unstable version (44.x), restores the icon, so it would appear that this may be an oversight by google.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#3 2015-05-20 20:14:58

hhgoten

Thank you very much ToZ !
This would be the next try I thought to do.
So, I installed unstable und you are right - the Icon is there.
What do you suggest - staying with unstable ? Not a big risk for me, its my private laptop and for normal web  I use firefox too. Just some youtube runs better with chrome (speed changer , html5 e.g.)
Or may I even help in debugging and how to do so ?
Best regards
Waldi
Don't hesitate to close this topic , if it costs  you too much time.

#4 2015-05-20 20:22:56

ToZ

I'm not sure what to suggest, I don't personally use google chrome so I can't recommend one version over the other. However, the unstable version crashed on me when I tried it - so probably a reason why its unstable.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to file a bug report with google, in case they are unaware of the issue.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Board footer