Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-27 15:24:41

MountainDewManiac

THUNAR: Audio Preview "Thumbnails?"

I switched from GNOME to XFCE some time back. I was unable to figure out how to make thumbnails work for video files. I tried adjusting a few things, installed things that looked vaguely like they might help... But basically groped around in the dark until I gave up & installed PCFileMan (every week or so I'd run it, navigate to each of my directories, and exit the app - and, as all files then had thumbnail images, Thunar would display them, lol). "A bit" unwieldy, but it worked.

I was quite happy when later updates meant that Thunar started crating thumbnail images. So happy that I forgot about asking this for a while:

When I used GNOME, its file manager also provided audio "thumbnails" (probably incorrect term); whenever I would hover my mouse cursor over an audio file (icon) that was in a format that my system had the correct codecs to play, GNOME's file manager would start playing the audio. When I moved my cursor away, the audio would stop.

Can this currently be done somehow in XFCE? If so, how does one configure it? If not, I would like to request it... If more people are interested in the feature than just myself. Tips on presenting my request might be helpful; for example, would the developers know about this or would I have to find a webpage that explains how it works in GNOME's file manager and reference it when submitting such a request?

Thanks,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2014-02-28 02:11:36

ToZ

Re: THUNAR: Audio Preview "Thumbnails?"

I think the closest you're going to be able to get is a custom action - but that won't be activated by a hover, but rather with a right-click and selection. The hover aspect will need to be programmed in. However, there is this patch. Doesn't look like its been implemented though.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#3 2014-02-28 07:50:20

MountainDewManiac

Re: THUNAR: Audio Preview "Thumbnails?"

Bummer. And I suppose that if it wouldn't be activated with a hover, it wouldn't be deactivated by the cessation of, er, a hover.

So at this point, it'd be both easier and more sensible to double-click on a file and let whichever app it is that the system currently has assigned to the role of audio file player deal with it. Shame.

I wonder how Nautilus manages it? If it does it natively or if it uses one or more helper files?

I haven't used GNOME's file manager since they were still doing GNOME 2.x. Probably pull in a lot of other files, tax an already overtaxed system, and not integrate well.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer