Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-27 10:15:12

ChrisHvide

How can I remove the Thunar rename dialog?

Hi there.
The rename dialog in Thunar annoys me. I wanna be able to just hit F2 and rename the file without having that dialog pop up because I have to rename multiple files fast. The bulk renamer slows me down because I still can't click the file and rename it in the bulk renamer. That'll just opne up the file.
So anyway. Is there a way to fix this so I can simply rename the file right there and then like in the other file managers?

#2 2020-01-27 12:16:45

Aravisian

Re: How can I remove the Thunar rename dialog?

ChrisHvide wrote:

Hi there.
The rename dialog in Thunar annoys me. I wanna be able to just hit F2 and rename the file without having that dialog pop up because I have to rename multiple files fast. The bulk renamer slows me down because I still can't click the file and rename it in the bulk renamer. That'll just opne up the file.
So anyway. Is there a way to fix this so I can simply rename the file right there and then like in the other file managers?

Thunar bulk renamer only opens if you select multiple files, then hit F2. If you are looking to rename a file individually, selecting it with right click will work.
If you would like to rename files in bulk but you dislike how Thunar Bulk renamer works, have you had a chance to test other renaming utilities?
You can rename multiple files in CLI efficiently and easily if the GUI method is to convoluted and slow.
Aside from using either cp or mv to do it, you can install the tools (sudo apt-get install)
mmv
or
rename
and those CLI tools give a few more options and features.
And there are a few other GUI utilities floating around out there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I use Nemo file manager instead of Thunar. You won't get the Bulk Renamer opening when you hit F2 in Nemo, however, it won't open multiple files to rename, either. You can only hit F2 for one file at a time in Nemo. But- this MAY be an option for you to avoid having the Bulk Renamer open up unintentionally on you.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-01-27 12:21:19)

#3 2020-01-27 12:29:57

ChrisHvide

Thanks. I'll try Nemo.
Like I said, I hate the bulk renamer and the dialog thing.
I like Thunar because it's lightweight, but I wish they'd remove all that dialog nonsense. And because of the dialog, even bulk renaming takes longer.
So what you're saying is I have to use another file manager in order to get rid of that stuff? There's no way I can remove the dialog and set F2 to just rename the file? That sucks. What were the guys at Thunar thinking? Because this is sooo annoying.
All the other file managers have it figured out, but Thunar had to be special.

#4 2020-01-27 12:40:41

Aravisian

ChrisHvide wrote:

So what you're saying is I have to use another file manager in order to get rid of that stuff?

I wouldn't go that far. Using another file manager is a Workable suggestion and Nemo is a very powerful FM.
Another more knowledeagble user may know of a way of dsiabling the Bulk Renamer- I have not found any way of doing so. But Toz has this magical way of bashing out scripts on the forum....

ChrisHvide wrote:

There's no way I can remove the dialog and set F2 to just rename the file?

If you select a file in Thunar and then hit  F2, then a dialogue opens to rename that file. But that dialog is not the Bulk renamer. That renamer does not appear unless you rubber band multiple files and then hit F2.
Also, you can Right click one file and select "rename" and then no dialog opens up at all- you just rename that file on the spot. This does not work for multiple files, though- just one file at a time.
I am not sure if this information is Helpful or not...

ChrisHvide wrote:

All the other file managers have it figured out, but Thunar had to be special.

LOL I love this line....

#5 2020-01-27 12:57:44

ChrisHvide

Nemo wanted me to install all sorts of Cinnamon stuff.
So that's a no go.

If you select a file in Thunar and then hit  F2, then a dialogue opens to rename that file. But that dialog is not the Bulk renamer. That renamer does not appear unless you rubber band multiple files and then hit F2.
Also, you can Right click one file and select "rename" and then no dialog opens up at all- you just rename that file on the spot. This does not work for multiple files, though- just one file at a time.

That's the problem.
I really like Thunar because it's lightweight.
But the dialog thing slows down my workflow a lot and doesn't allow me to rename files fast.
I'll see if I can find a better file manager.

#6 2020-01-27 13:32:00

Aravisian

ChrisHvide wrote:

Nemo wanted me to install all sorts of Cinnamon stuff.
So that's a no go.

That's the problem.
I really like Thunar because it's lightweight.
But the dialog thing slows down my workflow a lot and doesn't allow me to rename files fast.
I'll see if I can find a better file manager.

That is an option. The Cinnamon stuff - I hear ya. But I have learned over time that Modular includes their dependencies.
But, while I like to TRY to help (And learn from it as I go), I am no expert. Let's see what this thread develops.

#7 2020-01-27 16:53:19

ToZ
Administrator

See also: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13524.

Bug report regarding inline renaming: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3468.

I don't believe the rename dialog can be removed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2020-01-28 06:17:52

ChrisHvide

Okay so is there a good file manager that has all the features of Thunar (open terminal, archive etc), is somewhat lightweight and actually lets you rename the files without that annoying dialog?
I'm not installing Nemo. Too many dependencies. Caja is too heavy on ram, Dolphin is okay but a lot of features only work in KDE.
Any suggestions here?

#9 2020-01-28 07:40:02

Aravisian

ChrisHvide wrote:

Okay so is there a good file manager that has all the features of Thunar (open terminal, archive etc), is somewhat lightweight and actually lets you rename the files without that annoying dialog?
I'm not installing Nemo. Too many dependencies. Caja is too heavy on ram, Dolphin is okay but a lot of features only work in KDE.
Any suggestions here?

If you would like to install another file manager, you have little choice but to accept the portions it needs to bring along with it.
Among my own favorites are Nemo, SpaceFM (which is a powerful fork of PCManFM, if I am not mistaken) and Thunar. There are many others but you most likely will run into the same problem for each one: It will drag a trailer behind it.
ChrisHvide, I am right there with you. I understand your points. If we were using MS products right now, I would agree and then shut my trap.
However, we are not using MS products, so I am going to go out on a limb and try to encourage you to reconsider some of your objections.
What the other file managers will bring with them are not going to bog down or slow your machine in any way. I am quite similar to you; I like a CLEAN machine that any person can open up and use and I do not like clutter in the folders. But dependencies are not clutter. It's modular. At least we HAVE the luxury of so many different options we can use. But none will ever fit one persons needs perfectly.
Caja is pretty good (Well... it used to be...) and it brings an oddball dependency with it: Mate Help and Color Chooser. Maybe not the color chooser anymore, not sure about that. I let go of Caja after Xenial.
Nemo is the powerful user friendly tool that Nautilus could have been if not for Gnome being (CENSORED!) (CENSORED!) (CENSORED!)
SpaceFM is based on being very utilitarian and powerfully, but not based on eye candy. It will adapt to your system theme minimally... I always install it and keep it handy for when I like to use it though it is not my daily driver.
Thunar is lightweight and seems to fulfill what you want except for a detail that you cannot stand.
Dolphin... yes... no comment.

I apologize if I am being rude. I'm sorry but, this is the menu. It's not Burger King. Burger King isn't even Burger King, anymore.

Board footer