Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-08 16:26:20

Citizen Snips

Possible to force new windows to appear on source desktop?

Is there a setting that will force new windows to appear on the desktop from which they were generated?  For example, suppose I run a command in a terminal on desktop 1 that will eventually cause a GUI application window to be launched.  While that command is running, I switch to desktop 2 to work on something else.  Currently the GUI application launched from the command I executed from desktop 1 appears on desktop 2 (or whatever desktop is active).

I went to Applications->Settings->Window Manager Tweaks and verified that "When a window raises itself" is set to "Do Nothing", which seems like it would give the behavior I describe above, but what is actually happening seems more like what I would expect if I have this setting set to "Bring window on current workspace".

#2 2020-05-08 16:48:06

eriefisher

Re: Possible to force new windows to appear on source desktop?

If I understand correctly, no. The window will open on which ever workspace you are currently on when the command completes. You can however use Devilspie to set up this type of behavior. You can have a particular application open on a particular workspace. Once set up though that's all it will do until you change it. I cannot offer any assistance in setting it up as I've never used it but there is plenty of documentation on it.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-05-09 09:32:52

alcornoqui

Re: Possible to force new windows to appear on source desktop?

Board footer