Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-17 17:26:34

Diadochokinetic

Xubuntu lock screen showing up too late after reopening closed lid

Hello,

I'm on Xubuntu 20.04.1 on a MacBookAir6,2 running kernel 5.4.0-60-generic. When I close my laptop's lid my machine suspends (the problem is reproducanle, when setting default action to just lock screen aswell). But when I open my lid, the screen turns on and shows the actual content for about 1~2 seconds before turning into the look screen.

This kind of defeats the purpose of the lock screen as you can see the content without unlocking. I am aware that closing and reopening the lid to have a 1~2 second glance at the actual content is tedious, but you shouldn't be able to see the screen even for a millisecond, when it's supposed to be locked.

I can easily reproduce the issue everytime I close my laptop's lid and reopen it. So far I haven't found any similiar issue or possible fix.

Regards Diadochokinetic

#2 2021-03-07 20:22:54

Loeb

Re: Xubuntu lock screen showing up too late after reopening closed lid

Hello,

I also had this issue across various hardware, and have since upgrading Xubuntu a while back, sometime before 2020 if memory serves. I had done some of the work tracking the issue down, but only actually resolved it today.

I believe this is a race condition between two different tasks in charge of putting the laptop into suspend. One of them I assume is the logind service, the other I am not sure. The logind service is fast enough to do it's job before the other, and when the system comes out of suspend the other tasks locks the screen as if the lid had just closed.

In any case, the fix is to disable logind acting on lid close. Setting the line "HandleLidSwitch=ignore" in /etc/systemd/logind.conf. I went ahead and did a systemctl daemon-reload to make sure it grabbed the new config, though I'm not 100% sure if that's required.

Hopefully you found a fix to this issue already, but if not, hopefully this solves your problem.

#3 2021-03-13 20:15:24

Janvitus

Xfce 4.16 / Xubuntu 21.10

#4 2021-03-21 17:23:21

Diadochokinetic

Hello and thank you for your replies,

Loeb wrote:

Hello,
In any case, the fix is to disable logind acting on lid close. Setting the line "HandleLidSwitch=ignore" in /etc/systemd/logind.conf. I went ahead and did a systemctl daemon-reload to make sure it grabbed the new config, though I'm not 100% sure if that's required.

I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. The screen is still visible after opening the lid, before the locker kicks in.

I haven't understood the proposed solution. How can I apply the --disable-upower-glib in the settings? Does this only work during the install of xfce-settings? If yes, how do I do this? So far I only installed xfce via apt.

Regards
Diadochokinetic

#5 2021-03-22 18:47:10

Janvitus

Diadochokinetic wrote:

I haven't understood the proposed solution. How can I apply the --disable-upower-glib in the settings? Does this only work during the install of xfce-settings? If yes, how do I do this? So far I only installed xfce via apt.
Diadochokinetic

Recompile the package, is the only solution at the moment.

Xfce 4.16 / Xubuntu 21.10

#6 2021-03-23 19:51:42

Diadochokinetic

Ah okay. I'll try it out on the weekend. I don't want to mess with my GUI during a work week big_smile

Board footer