Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-29 05:13:32

lngndvs

Orage replacement / non-XFCE4 user

Orage was a key element in my workflow/setup.  I use i3, and had orage bound to a key combo.  It was the only calendar I could find that did not reset the month when it was started up each time.  Very important in my case. 

Is there anything else that can do this?   

I think this is a good example of the universal rule that truly great things don't survive.

How could anyone in the XFCE4 community know the extant of the dependence of others on edge case features of a package such as this.

Where can I find the source?

Alan Davis

#2 2021-04-29 11:38:53

ToZ

Re: Orage replacement / non-XFCE4 user

Hello and welcome.

Although orage is no longer being developed, it is still installable and runnable. The part that won't work, is the panel plugin on the xfce4-panel (the plugin is currently gtk2 and the xfce4-panel only supports gtk3). There are a few other threads in this forum about orage and options - feel free to search.

The source can be found here or here.

Which distro are you using?

#3 2021-04-30 16:05:35

mint4all

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Although orage is no longer being developed, it is still installable and runnable. The part that won't work, is the panel plugin on the xfce4-panel (the plugin is currently gtk2 and the xfce4-panel only supports gtk3). There are a few other threads in this forum about orage and options - feel free to search.

The source can be found here or here.

Which distro are you using?

As an experiment, i obtained the source, installed the toolchain, and my build was successful after a few tries. Alas, I am not yet running on the xfce 4.16 base (waiting for Linux Mint to step up), though I could setup a dedicated build PC.

Anyways, depending on the complexity of the task (my C skills got quite rusty over some 20+ years), I might take a crack at migrating the panel plugin to gtk3. Other then the gtk3 manuals (.pdfs) is there some conversion/migration guide/cheatsheet, or auto-tool, that you could point me to? Thanks a lot.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 18.3, 19.3, 20.0 -- xfce 4.12 & 4.14... Apple IMAC 11,3 -- Dell Precision T1500 Desktops -- Toshiba Satellite, Dell Inspiron & HP Pavilion Laptops -- Family & Community Support re. Linux

#4 2021-04-30 18:23:37

ToZ

mint4all wrote:

I might take a crack at migrating the panel plugin to gtk3.

Sweet.

Other then the gtk3 manuals (.pdfs) is there some conversion/migration guide/cheatsheet, or auto-tool, that you could point me to? Thanks a lot.

Here is the 4.14 roadmap's deprecated widgets document with some information.

The most useful resource for me when I migrated the genmon plugin was looking at the migration efforts of the other plugins. Have a look at the commits starting on this page and this one (for 2016-05-14 to 2016-05-21) to see what I did to migrate the plugin. Hopefully some useful info there.

#5 2021-04-30 23:28:56

mint4all

@ ToZ ...

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I obtained, installed and ran the gtk-symbol-checker mentioned by the roadmap page. I found out that Orage 4.12.1 has 21 deprecated api's located in 180+ source lines in 15 (m/l) source modules. 

That answers the what, and where. As to the how, that may end up being too formidable for my ancient skill set. Time is not an issue (I'm retired), but the learning curve may end up being too steep. I'll be studying this for a while before getting ahead of myself ...

Again, your help is deeply appreciated!

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 18.3, 19.3, 20.0 -- xfce 4.12 & 4.14... Apple IMAC 11,3 -- Dell Precision T1500 Desktops -- Toshiba Satellite, Dell Inspiron & HP Pavilion Laptops -- Family & Community Support re. Linux

Board footer