Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-12 19:11:07

MitraMai

Getting the spotify icon back in the panel [Solved]

Hello!
The latest update changed something so now whenever I open Spotify, the icon in the panel changes to the blue and white "window". From what I understand it's because that the icon in the desktop-file is called "spotify-client" while the exec-line contains only "spotify" (I read this somewhere, and it might be completely wrong). But I have the same/similar problem with Telegram, where I changed the systray icon from the blue one to a white one. And in the systray it shows the white icon, BUT also in the panel. So, I'm wondering, where do XFCE4 get the panel-icons from? Apparently it's not using the ones that is set in MenuLibre.

Last edited by MitraMai (2021-09-30 08:13:57)

#2 2021-09-15 20:16:54

AlFredo

Re: Getting the spotify icon back in the panel [Solved]

Are you using the Snap version? It got an update on 1st Sep. so it might be an issue on their side. You could try one of the other or older versions: https://snapcraft.io/spotify

Overall I'm having the same issue not only with spotify but also with ms teams (months ago). So would love to finally find a solution how to change the icon!

This is how it looks on Manjaro Pahvo: FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by AlFredo (2021-09-15 20:18:12)

#3 2021-09-22 10:33:26

red_trumpet

I also don't get an icon when using the flatpak (https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.spotify.Client) on Xubuntu 20.04.

#4 2021-09-30 08:11:44

MitraMai

Ok, I solved it!

These are the steps:

Download a spotify icon, size 32x32 in png-format.
Copy it to

~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/

Then run

gtk-update-icon-cache ~/.local/share/icons/

Then restart Spotify and you should see the icon in top left corner of the window, and also in the virtual desktop thingy (or whatever it's called) in the panel.
This also works with Telegram, if one doesn't get an icon for that app.
Apparently icons within the hicolor-folder in the home directory overrides the icons in /usr/share/icons. And the xfce4-panel - Window Menu uses either 16x16 or 32x32 icons.

#5 2022-01-31 10:04:07

KBar

Spotify snap doesn't seem to minimize to tray at all, despite enabling the option. It always quits itself.

I don't use snaps much and this is literally the first one that I'm going to keep using on a daily basis. The Internet says that the Linux client doesn't support this feature. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#6 2022-02-22 15:16:55

KBar

I removed the Spotify snap and installed it as a .deb package, both problems persist.

Speaking of the icon not loading, here are the relevant lines from ~/.xsession-errors:

libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed

(xfce4-panel:1086): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:11:09.727: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion 'icon_name != NULL' failed

(xfce4-panel:1086): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:11:09.768: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion 'icon_name != NULL' failed

Looking at this and this didn't help me get closer to the root cause.

These are the theme icons:

locate 'spotify-client' | grep -v '^/snap'
/usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce/apps/128/spotify-client.png
/usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce/apps/16/spotify-client.png
/usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce/apps/24/spotify-client.png
/usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce/apps/32/spotify-client.png
/usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce/apps/48/spotify-client.png
/usr/share/icons/elementary-xfce/apps/64/spotify-client.png

Another strange thing is: on closing the app, the icon appears briefly. The icon is missing only on tasklist and tabwin (set by wnck_window_get_icon).

Last edited by KBar (2022-02-22 15:56:05)

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-02-22 16:48:00

KBar

MitraMai's solution didn't work.

Every time Spotify is launched, the libva error pops up in .xsession-errors.

dpkg -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
intel-media-va-driver:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so

dpkg -l intel-media-va-driver
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                        Version        Architecture Description
+++-===========================-==============-============-================================================
ii  intel-media-va-driver:amd64 20.1.1+dfsg1-1 amd64        VAAPI driver for the Intel GEN8+ Graphics family
ii  intel-media-va-driver:i386  20.1.1+dfsg1-1 i386         VAAPI driver for the Intel GEN8+ Graphics family

#8 2022-02-23 00:37:47

ToZ
Administrator

It doesn't look like spotify provides an icon (see xprop) and libwnck can't pick one out. I've used a script like this in the past to force icons to specific apps and it works with spotify (it requires xseticon which doesn't appear to be available in the ubuntu repositories so you may need to build it from source):

#!/bin/bash

### EDIT THESE VALUES #########################################################
APP="/usr/bin/spotify $@"
ICON="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/spotify.png"
WAIT=2
###############################################################################

### DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING BELOW
function change-panel-icon {

sleep $WAIT
    activeWinLine=$(xprop -root | grep "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW(WINDOW)")
    activeWinId="${activeWinLine:40}"

xseticon -id "$activeWinId" "$ICON"
}

$APP & change-panel-icon

...adjust the WAIT value to suit. Put it in /usr/local/bin and make it executable.

Edit: this thread may be useful.

Last edited by ToZ (2022-02-23 00:43:58)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#9 2022-02-23 02:37:28

KBar

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your views on snaps) for me, it comes as a snap as well. Icons should be placed in its self-confined snap directory, though. But it works!

Thanks a lot.

Board footer