Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-21 02:52:06

dchmelik
Website

git blocked; can't report bugs (add 'session and autostart' blacklist)

Gitlab.xfce.org says my account is blocked: I can't report bugs anymore.  I login with my username and/or email (same; ) not with a git site.
    Applications -> settings -> session and startup could use a blacklist/whitelist.  Several people I know use skype, though I hate it, it's only way they may contact me with audio/video, so I usually have it on.  However every time one starts skype it adds itself to 'session and startup' programs that auto-start on XFCE start, without consent.  I try to remove it every time and want to blacklist it.  I complained in skype help but doubt microsoft will even listen/reply as probably sneaky marketing trick they don't care users dislike.

Last edited by dchmelik (2022-04-21 02:54:01)

#2 2022-04-21 03:13:07

ToZ

Re: git blocked; can't report bugs (add 'session and autostart' blacklist)

dchmelik wrote:

Gitlab.xfce.org says my account is blocked: I can't report bugs anymore.

Probably best to reach out to someone at the #xfce-dev Libera IRC channel or via the xfce4-dev mailing list to get your account sorted out.

Applications -> settings -> session and startup could use a blacklist/whitelist.  Several people I know use skype, though I hate it, it's only way they may contact me with audio/video, so I usually have it on.  However every time one starts skype it adds itself to 'session and startup' programs that auto-start on XFCE start, without consent.  I try to remove it every time and want to blacklist it.  I complained in skype help but doubt microsoft will even listen/reply as probably sneaky marketing trick they don't care users dislike.

Try this:

1. In a terminal window, go to your user's autostart directory:

cd ~/.config/autostart
  2. Empty out the "skypeforlinux.desktop" file (make sure you type the greater than sign):

> skypeforlinux.desktop
  3. Turn on the immutable flag (so the file can't be written to):

sudo chattr +i skypeforlinux.desktop

This should prevent it from auto starting.

#3 2022-04-22 14:01:37

KBar

toz wrote:

This should prevent it from auto starting.

That's another eye-opener and trick up to sleeve! Thanks for sharing this.

I think I had a similar idea with the weather plugin. Could changing file ownership or mode bits also help achieve this? I haven't had that problem reappear ever again after I made its rc-file unwritable, but maybe it was fixed by itself. tongue

Last edited by KBar (2022-04-22 14:03:38)

Xubuntu 20.04

#4 2022-04-22 23:02:46

ToZ

KBar wrote:

Could changing file ownership or mode bits also help achieve this?

Possibly, but depending on the scenario, the app may try to reset those permissions. Making a file immutable via root pretty much guarantees that it won't be written to.

#5 2022-04-30 00:38:21

dchmelik
Website

Apparently skype has the option somewhere in a menu and I forgot to turn it off.

Board footer