Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-26 12:49:00

rko

vmware + rh8 + gdm + xfce => xfce session dies after disconnect

Hey there,

VMWare desktop VM running RH 8.6 with GDM and Xfce4 (xfce-session-4.16.0-4.el8.x86+64).
Connect with VMWare Horizon Client, logging into gdm, starting xfce4 (by gdm), wm running fine until I disconnect (not logout) from session.
If I log back right in, xfce is still there, but if I wait a certain time (some minutes), the session dies and I have to login, create a new xfce session.

I would like some help to get started on how to debug this. How can I trace/debug the xfce session to find the exact reason for the wm shutdown. I'm not saying this is a bug in Xfce, but I would need to know which part of the chain is failing so that I know who to talk to and what to report next.

A similar issue has been posted to https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13775 but never updated with anything useful.
I would really appreciate if someone could give an advise on what should I debug/trace to get to the end of this.

Thank you,
Robert

#2 2023-01-26 16:55:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: vmware + rh8 + gdm + xfce => xfce session dies after disconnect

I don't have any experience with this type of setup, so its difficult to offer solutions. However, to debug I would suggest the following:

1. There should either be an ~/.xsession-errors file (or ~/.xsession-errors.old you've re-logged in) that might contain some information. Not sure if RH 8.6 logs to this file, otherwise you'll need to find where it logs to see if anything is displayed.

2. You can run xfce4-session to log debug info. To do so, set a global "XFSM_VERBOSE=1" variable and after relogin/reboot, you should end up with an ~/.xfce4-session.verbose-log and ~/.xfce4-session.verbose-log.last log file that might contain some useful information.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-02-12 16:26:59

CwF

Re: vmware + rh8 + gdm + xfce => xfce session dies after disconnect

With a completely different config (KVM, Virt-Manager, remote i686 Debian12 w/lightdm) I just experienced the same issue.

Looking at something not related (attach remote passed usb) I first had a user password issue, didn't work, logged in as root, worked, then did some thing and closed the window (w/ a watch dmesg active). When I reopened the viewer I was met with the lightdm screen, and the user password then worked, the root desktop also logged in and was fresh.

This is new behavior, but my only lightdm example. Debian12's with systemd autologin maintain the current desktop and activities between disconnects.

Board footer