Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-05 15:01:06

warpig

Dual screen configuration problem

Hi All,

I know this has been posted by many people, but I can't find the solution to my specific problem.  I know this config is possible, because I was using it with ubuntu 11.04.  Unfortunately for me, I just can't get along with the new UI in 11.11, so here I am checking out xfce for the first time...  I currently have Xubuntu 11.11 installed, which comes with xfce version 4.8.

My problem is this:
I have an (old) laptop running an intel chipset with a native resolution of 1280x800.  I have an external 24" monitor which runs a native resolution of 1920x1200.  When I boot up and log in, the same display is mirrored on both screens, which I don't want.  The "solution" I've found in order to get the correct behaviour is to run "xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1".  The unfortunate side effect of this is that my terminal emulator (version 0.4.8) then no longer displays it's menu's.  The menu labels are still there, but I can't see anything dropped down when I select them.  The other strange behaviour is that the terminal no longer gives up focus when I click on another application - it's almost like I've enabled "Always on top" in the menu bar.  All other applications seem to behave correctly.

I've tried creating a custom xorg.conf, based on this post:  http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=4909, but it doesn't change the display configuration, as I continue to have mirrored displays.  I've also tried going to run level 3 and running "X -configure", but initially it complained it couldn't load the vmware display drivers.  I moved them from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers to /tmp and now I get a different error when I run it:  "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.  Configuration failed."  The custom xorg.conf is:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Dual Head Layout"
Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 3200 1200
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "monitor-LVDS1" "Laptop"
Option "monitor-VGA1" "LP2475w"
Option "monitor-TV1" "TV1"
Option "RROutputOrder" "LVDS1"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Laptop"
Option "Position" "1920 0"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "LP2475w"
Option "LeftOf" "Laptop"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "TV1"
Option "Enable" "False"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "True"
# Option "Xinerama" "True"
EndSection

I'm happy to post config, logs and screenshots if required.  Thanks in advance for any pointers in the right direction.
Leigh

Board footer