Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-17 13:17:41

Rosnerv

Center the whisker menu like in Windows 11

Good day,

I would like some CSS code so that the Whisker menu appears in the center as in Windows 11, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for the bad English, but I'm using a translator.

Thanks.

#2 2024-01-17 13:56:26

eriefisher

Re: Center the whisker menu like in Windows 11

I have no idea about Win 11. Do you mean the menu appears in the center of the screen?

xfce4-popup-whiskermenu -c

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2024-01-17 17:52:13

mint4all

Rosnerv wrote:

Good day,

I would like some CSS code so that the Whisker menu appears in the center as in Windows 11, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for the bad English, but I'm using a translator.

Thanks.

Welcome to this forum! And do not worry about your English smile

eriefisher is correct: the "xdotool" app will work quote well for your request (I am not sure whisker's "-c" option is implemented at this time). Simply add/create a new keyboard shortcut (Settings > Keyboard > Application Shortcuts) with the following command

sh -c "xdotool mousemove 400 300 && xfce4-popup-whiskermenu -p"

and you'll be on the way. Note: you will have to experiment with the example x/y coordinates i used (400 300) to fit your screen dimensions (width / height) to fix whisker's top left corner on your screen.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2024-01-17 20:55:45

Rosnerv

Thank you so much

Unfortunately it only works if it is operated through the keyboard. What I need is for it to be centered when I press the icon on the panel. Will there be any CSS code for it?

With CSS I have removed borders, changed the size of the icons that did not accept the panel configuration, but centering the whisker is the only thing I have not been able to.

https://ibb.co/0ywdnLF

#5 2024-01-17 21:46:48

eriefisher

CSS only effects the appearance and not the function.  By default the whisker menu opens at its icon. To change that you can create a new .desktop file with the command I mentioned earlier and replace the "stock" one in the panel.

Example:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Whisker Menu
Comment=Application Menu
GenericName=Application Menu
Exec=xfce4-popup-whiskermenu -c
Icon=/home/username/.local/share/icons/whiskermenu.png
NoDisplay=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
#X-MultipleArgs=false
Categories=GTK;XFCE4;
StartupNotify=false

You will have to edit it to reflect your situation.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#6 2024-01-17 21:55:05

mint4all

Rosnerv wrote:

Thank you so much

Unfortunately it only works if it is operated through the keyboard. What I need is for it to be centered when I press the icon on the panel. Will there be any CSS code for it?

With CSS I have removed borders, changed the size of the icons that did not accept the panel configuration, but centering the whisker is the only thing I have not been able to.

https://ibb.co/0ywdnLF

With utmost respect for your CSS knowhow, your pop-up idea has nothing to do CSS (as far as I know), but deals with window managment, something Xfce is very good with. You can execute my proposed solution from the panel as well:
Step-1 ... Rightclick Panel > Panel > Add New Items > Launcher > +Add button
which added an empty launcher to the end of the panel
Step-2 ... Rightclick new button > Properties > + +(Add a new empty item) button > "Create Launcher" popup
which allows you to setup a new launcher using as its "Command" the sample solution (shell command) from above. For its title, tooltip and icon choose whatever you wish. Tried and tested it ok.
Step-3 ... move the new menu-popup button to where you like it.

Cheers, m4a

PS: with this technique (suggested by ToZ long ago) a lot of tasks can be setup with launcher buttons for those users that don't like to use the terminal/command line.

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer