Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-08 02:29:27

shellmaster

xfce terminal can't change colors under Artix

Hello,
Since the latest update, I can't change colors from xfce terminal's preferences. I have tried removing all terminalrc files and loging into uncustomized xfce but the problem remains the same. This is the case for Artix runit and openrc though I hardly think colors have anything to do with init.

This problem doesn't occur under Arch with the same xfce and xfce4-terminal version.

~~~
xfce4-terminal --version
xfce4-terminal 1.1.2 (Xfce 4.18)

Last edited by shellmaster (2024-02-08 02:38:36)

#2 2024-02-08 11:21:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce terminal can't change colors under Artix

Is xfconfd installed and running? xfce4-terminal has migrated to using xfconf as the backend (no longer using terminalrc) as of version 1.1.0.

Also, is there any info in your log files about xfce4-terminal and/or xfconfd?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-02-08 11:55:49

shellmaster

huh it was init related after all.

No there is no xfconf service or daemon in Artix. xfconf it self is installed though.

How can I run it from the command line? perhaps I can write a service for it ...

#4 2024-02-08 12:14:29

shellmaster

xfconf--4.18.3-1 is installed, but I only get xfconf-query in the shell.

Also there are no errors or logs from xfce terminal

~
Upon further investigation , I see that I can go to the terminal tab in xfce settings editor and changing the values there effectively changes the terminal colors.
But this is highly inconvenient, Do I have to set colors one by one for my fav colorscheme ?

#5 2024-02-08 18:55:27

ToZ
Administrator

No, you shouldn't have to. But its weird that making the change from the terminal preferences doesn't work (indicating a possible dbus/xfconfd connection problem), but that changing the setting in the settings editor works (indicating no issue with dbus/xfconfd connectivity).

You're not running the terminal as root or something, are you? Because by default root terminal won't have access to user-based dbus/xfconfd. If so, try launching xfce4-terminal as "dbus-launch xfce4-terminal".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2024-02-11 18:04:46

shellmaster

launching xfce terminal from an xterm instance: dbus-launch xfce4-terminal

(xfce4-terminal:21156): xfce4-terminal-WARNING **: 21:29:05.007: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

Attempting to change colors:

(xfce4-terminal:21156): xfce4-terminal-CRITICAL **: 21:30:21.690: terminal_preferences_dialog_presets_changed: assertion 'TERMINAL_IS_PREFERENCES_DIALOG (widget)' failed

I'm not running a root terminal, it is just a normal terminal. I have sddm running. I tried in both xfce session and i3wm and in both cases these are the errors Im getting.

Also I have no idea what the value of SESSION_MANAGER environment variable should be.
can it be something like `export SESSION_MANAGER=$(cat /proc/self/sessionid)` ?

Last edited by shellmaster (2024-02-11 18:06:03)

#7 2024-02-11 20:56:21

ToZ
Administrator

Attempting to change colors:

(xfce4-terminal:21156): xfce4-terminal-CRITICAL **: 21:30:21.690: terminal_preferences_dialog_presets_changed: assertion 'TERMINAL_IS_PREFERENCES_DIALOG (widget)' failed

It looks like its a known bug that has been fixed and will be released in the next version.

shellmaster wrote:

launching xfce terminal from an xterm instance: dbus-launch xfce4-terminal

(xfce4-terminal:21156): xfce4-terminal-WARNING **: 21:29:05.007: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

That being said, you have some weird error messages there. Do you get the same if you run just "xfce4-terminal" without the dbus-launch?

Also I have no idea what the value of SESSION_MANAGER environment variable should be.
can it be something like `export SESSION_MANAGER=$(cat /proc/self/sessionid)` ?

Mine is set to:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/xfgit:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/13538,unix/xfgit:/tmp/.ICE-unix/13538

Its set up at session initiation. Are you using xfce4-session?

#8 2024-02-22 02:56:46

merazi
Website

Henlo, I have the same behaviour with XFCE4-TERMINAL, plus when I try to disable the app menu from right clicking on the desktop that doesn't get applied either...

My SESSION_MANAGER looks like this:

local/archlinux:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/153157,unix/archlinux:/tmp/.ICE-unix/153157

I really don't want to say it, but... I'm on arch btw, and I'm new to the forum too.

#9 2024-02-22 11:07:32

ToZ
Administrator

merazi wrote:

Henlo, I have the same behaviour with XFCE4-TERMINAL

This is fixed in git master and will be rolled out in the next release shortly.

plus when I try to disable the app menu from right clicking on the desktop that doesn't get applied either...

Can you run xfdesktop in debug mode:

xfdesktop -Q && xfdesktop -e

...and try to disable the appmenu and see whats recorded in the debug output.

#10 2024-02-22 15:31:44

merazi
Website

Henlo,

I built master branch for xfce4-terminal and the issue is now gone, thanks!

Regarding xfdesktop, this is the entire output: https://pastebin.com/x84WdFyi

The lines that say "DBG[menu.c:77] menu_populate(): show desktop menu icons TRUE" appeared when I right-clicked on the desktop, it doesn't matter if app menu is turned on or off those lines always appear when I right click on the desktop.

#11 2024-02-22 16:58:17

merazi
Website

Okay... I just noticed I was changing the wrong option in the xfdesktop menu, I feel so dumb now, sorry! Everything works as expected.

Board footer